Our most frequently asked questions

What's included in the rent?

This varies across residences. Please refer to the respective property pages and confirm with the site managers.

Do I need to pay council tax?

Full-time students are exempt from paying council tax. However, the tenant is liable for any council tax charges that may be incurred. For example, some councils may charge students out of term time.

What is provided in my room?

All our residences are furnished but you would need to bring your own bedding and kitchen utensils.

Can I bring my own electrical equipment?

For health and safety reasons, you are not allowed to bring certain electrical equipment. These include, among others, rice cooker, microwave, slow cooker, heater, fridge, dishwasher, humidifier, smoke machine, and electric blanket.

Where can I do my laundry?

All our residences have an on-site laundry room with washing and drying machines.

Can I bring my car?

Some of our residences have car parking facilities available for a small charge. Please confirm with the site managers.

Can I smoke in my room?

Smoking is not permitted in all our residences. It is against regulations and in breach of the contract if you smoke or permit someone to smoke inside the property.

Are pets allowed?

No pets, except registered assistance dogs, are permitted under the terms of the tenancy agreement.

Can I live at the property?

We accept bookings if you are over 18 so that the tenancy agreement will be legally binding. Unless specified elsewhere, you have to be a full-time student to live with us.

If you turn 18 in the first semester of university, an adult over the age of 18 must be a co-signatory on your tenancy agreement.

Can I choose my room or live with my friends?

We'll try our best to accommodate your needs. Please let us know your preferences such as living with your friends or rooms in a certain floor.

How do I book a viewing?

You can book a viewing through our website or contact us at info@gather-students.com

How do I pay my rent?

You can pay your rent by recurring card payments or bank transfers. We will provide account details for bank transfers upon request.

Can I pay in instalments?

You can pay in instalments if you have a UK guarantor or use the guarantor service provided by Housing Hand.

If you do not have a UK guarantor, you will have to pay your rent in full in one upfront payment.

What is a guarantor?

A guarantor is a person aged 18 or above who takes joint financial responsibility for the tenancy and is liable to pay the rent if, for any reason, you are unable to pay the rents as they fall due.

We have the right to pursue the guarantor for recovery of outstanding monies – therefore, it is important that your guarantor understands their liabilities.

Who can be a guarantor?

We may accept a person as a guarantor if he or she is:
- over 18 years of age;
- a resident in the UK for at least 12 months; and
- in full time employment or be a homeowner.

The guarantor will also have to provide a copy of photographic identification and a copy of the proof of address in the UK that is less than 3 months old.

What is Housing Hand?

Housing Hand provides a guarantor service for both overseas and UK students who do not have a suitable or qualified UK guarantor.

Housing Hand charges a one-off fee that you will either pay up front at the start of your tenancy or in 8 instalments (if on a 12 month contract).

For more information on eligibility and fees, please visit Housing Hand website from https://www.housinghand.co.uk/. If you have any other queries you can contact Housing Hand directly by email team@housinghand.co.uk, or telephone +44 (0) 207 205 2625.

What if I want to cancel by booking?

Please refer to your tenancy agreement for the cancellation terms.

In general, you may cancel the tenancy agreement at no charge within 14 days after your booking is confirmed (cooling off period), if you book before 1st August. If your booking is confirmed on or after 1st August, the cooling off period will be reduced to 7 days.

If you cancel your booking after the cooling off period or after the tenancy has started, whichever is earlier, you will be liable for the rent for the full tenancy period until a replacement tenant has been found and made payments.

Do you provide short term lets?

We may have some rooms available for shorter contracts. Please check with us at info@gather-students.com

Do you charge any booking fee?

No, we don't charge any booking fee.

How much are the deposits?

It varies across our residence. For some properties we don't take any deposits.

What happens to my deposit?

Your deposit will be placed into a deposit protection scheme such as Deposit Protection Service (DPS).

When do I get my deposit back?

Your deposit will be returned to you by the deposit protection scheme after your tenancy agreement has ended and your room inspected. The amount to be returned will be net of any outstanding charges and damage found in your room or the communal areas of your residence. Please refer to your tenancy agreement for further details.

The deposit protection scheme will contact you to arrange the refund. You are expected to provide bank details and your deposit repayment ID (provided at the time of registering your deposit). The return of deposit can take about 30 working days. Please note that the refund is managed by the third party deposit protection scheme and not us.

Can I leave early?

Yes. However, you will still have to pay rent for the full tenancy period, even if you no longer live in our residence. Please speak to us and we may have a waiting list of people who would like to take over your tenancy.

Get in touch

Get in touch

We know that choosing your new home is a big deal, that’s why we’re more than happy to help answer any questions you may have.